Share is Not for Me

February 26, 2015

I was skiing down the mountain and the snow was perfect and I couldn’t hold an edge. (If you’re not a skier, this might not make sense to you.) I used to race, my skis are amazing, my legs are strong enough and I just couldn’t do it. Into my pocket I went for an airhead. I knew I was low. As I finished the airhead, I could feel my Dexcom going off telling me I was low. I have no idea what my blood sugar was, but by the end of the next run I felt better.

I’m pretty lucky to have been able to spend so much time at the mountain this year. Most of it has been by myself. At this point I feel like many of you may be saying “I hope you have a Share!” I don’t, and a day with the family made me very happy I don’t. See, last year I pretty fabulous/terrible day. This year it’s been cold.

Yes I went skiing this day (it was -13 when we left the house)

Yes I went skiing this day (it was -13 when we left the house)

I knew I needed to keep my pump and Dexcom (when worn) safe.

tummie tote

I put my base layer on. Then the tummie tote with the pump and Dex. Then two more layers before my jacket. The pump and Dex are not reachable while I am on the mountain. And if I tried to get them, I worry they would stop working from the temperatures. Dex believed I was under 40 for a long time, but I was holding my edges and making amazing turns and I felt wonderful. I knew I wasn’t low. If I had a Share or something similar, people would probably think I was unconscious. Really, I knew how I was doing and I didn’t want to let the cold weather stop me.

Maybe someday I will change my mind, but intuition and feeling is a great thing and it works for me on the slopes.

1. abby permalink
    February 26, 2015 12:01 PM

I truly think that Shares are meant for kids and elderly. Those of us who are doing it on our own don’t need people watching unless we want it. I also have no desire to have a Share, and can’t imagine I will anytime soon. Rock in with your independent (totally nuts for skiing in negative temperatures) self 😉

2. February 26, 2015 1:29 PM

I agree – I wouldn’t want a Share either, for the same reason. I’m private (and stubborn) like that.

Actually, if I did get a Dexcom (which I’m entertaining the possibility), I wouldn’t mind sharing it with myself … that is, if I could keep the receiver tucked away and inaccessible and get all the data/alerts/etc. on my OWN phone. Does the “share-er” app have the same functionality as the “share-ee” app? I wonder.

Also- damn that’s cold!

3. March 5, 2015 11:27 PM

I don’t see the need for a new SHARE receiver, but do have Nightscout setup using that setup… though I hardly use it, unless traveling or out on my own where I want to share my data. And my big reason for that was because I tend to always go low when traveling by myself, and so the extra security blanket is reassuring. I have been in enough situations over the past couple years where I thought I was managing and on top of things, but was completely hypo unaware — but that has nothing to do with sharing data. As long as you’re doing what you want and what’s best, then that’s the way to go. Same as pumping or injections — whatever works best for you. And if that’s keeping all safe and underneath bundles of warmth while out on the slopes, then that’s awesome. I’m glad you have a choice one way or another, no matter the preference. (holy crap, your post made me shiver and need to put a hoodie on, too…that’s cold!!!!) 🙂

4. Tina permalink
    March 6, 2015 11:44 AM

As a mum of 3 cwd I can’t imagine the crazy that would ensue if I had numbers from 3 kids coming at me – would I have to wear 3 watches? Carry 3 phones? I have no idea since I’ve not investigated. I have considered the Dexcom Share station thing – just so if one of the kids was away at a non-diabetes camp or sleepover I could get the numbers but HELLO parents of adult PWD didn’t have that technology and look at you all – skiing and being fabulous (oops sorry Katy) BAdass. I love new technology and Im glad Share is available for those who want it. I’m glad to know some of my adult friends with D have the technology so spouses can know and feel confident their loved one is well when traveling alone. Anyway – I rejoice in your independence and strength. I am thankful you recognize when your blood sugar is misbehaving and I pray you continue to have that self awareness. My older two kids have it – they feel low at 70. My youngest – diagnosed at 2 years old – has no idea – ever. He has been 29 and jumping on the trampoline. Anyway – he is the only one of my kids Id even entertain the idea for – but first Id need to get him to be agreeable to wearing the Dex all the time. One fight at a time. Keep being badass!

5. March 6, 2015 12:09 PM

I think… *think* you can shut off follower access whenever you want. So, if you wanted to ski down that hill without anyone seeing your data during it, I think you could. (Also, have I told you lately what a badass you are?)

6. March 10, 2015 10:10 AM

OMG skiing in -27 temps? That’s fantastic. Also, I’ve had experiences of Dexcom going falsely low while being active in the cold (in this case, running in much less frigid temps, but with fewer layers). I wonder if this is a trend….

7. March 22, 2015 5:40 PM

I’m so happy that we live in a time where there are choices, and good choices at that, that each of us can make to best manage our particular form of diabetes!! My husband and I generally have no use for share. Like all of u, I’m very independent in managing my disease but we will use it when I travel by myself or when My husband travels without me just for that added level of protection.

I can imagine its a very good thing to have when dealing with a little one who can’t verbalize when she/he is low/hi.

And I agree with everybody else!!! U r one badass chick!! hope u get some great spring season skiing in…if spring ever arrives!!