Monster in the Night

July 22, 2014
The shadows from the Dex to the ceiling were TERRIFYING

The shadows from the Dex to the ceiling were TERRIFYING

I know you’re probably thinking “what the what is with the ceiling fan Briley?” I totally get it. And it’s definitely not what I planned to write for you today. (I don’t often plan what I write, but I still have Florida stories for you.) I could hear this music, and I felt like there was steam coming off of my body. I looked around my room wanting to see the steam. The comforter was blocking it. Then the music. What the hell was that music. I looked around and my eyes stopped on the ceiling. I was TERRIFIED. That ceiling fan and it’s shadows were something out of a horror movie and I didn’t know what to do. The music was my Dexcom and I was LOW for at least an hour. I knew that I was low, but I laid there on my back looking at the fan (which was off) terrified to move. I knew I needed to test, but what would I find when I turned the light on? I laid there until my Dex went off again. I was finally awake enough to realize that whatever was going to hurt me from my ceiling was less important than sugar (still not realizing it was just a shadow). I turned on my light, looked at my ceiling and that crazy thing was gone. I tested, just to see exactly how low I was, and I was 45 (I’m pretty sure I was already on my way back up). I grabbed the tube of tabs next to bed and had all 6. I then set a timer 15 minutes to test again and I was in the 70s or 80s. Today I woke up smelling like I had gone to the gym in the middle of the night and not knowing how to function without coffee. It scares me that I was that low for that long, and that my symptoms were so severe, when they normally are not. My Dex currently reads 80 with a flat line and I am trying so damn hard to be happy, but last night is still at the forefront of my mind. This is my “day of #dblogcheck” blog post, and I hope that you participate (not for me, but for you!)

1. July 22, 2014 10:32 AM

I am so sorry to hear about this low. You explained that terror – the paralysis – perfectly. I hope you feel much better today.

2. July 22, 2014 10:42 AM

I’ve experienced that fear-of-moving-while-low-and-sleepy, too. It’s scary. I’m glad you’re okay!

3. lifeont1 permalink
    July 22, 2014 10:43 AM

Gah.

I hate those. I had a night of constant lows as well. I went through an entire fresh bottle of glucolift, woke up with a bg of 200 and can’t get it below 275 now. So…I feel ya!

4. July 22, 2014 10:43 AM

This reminds me of that night I had my awful low, too. That feeling of wondering how low you were is scary! Feel better! and enjoy that you were 80 with a flat line and not 300! 🙂

5. July 22, 2014 11:04 AM

Oh honey, it scares me too. And reminds that I meant to write about a bad low I had a FFL – not sure what would’ve happened to me if Pete hadn’t been there. I hate that any of us has to live like this.

#dblogcheck

6. July 22, 2014 11:40 AM

Thanks for your post. Night time is the worst! My 8-year old daughter doesn’t feel her lows at night at all. Makes it tricky to figure out when I need to test and when she will be fine. Thank goodness for your CGM!

7. July 22, 2014 11:41 AM

I know that feeling too well. You know you’re low but can’t actually move to do something about it. I hope the hypo hangover isn’t too bad!

8. July 22, 2014 12:02 PM

Check!!! (and man, my Dex has been working overtime at night as well. Grrrrr.)

9. July 22, 2014 12:23 PM

How scary! Glad you are ok.

10. July 22, 2014 1:34 PM

Lows in the middle of the night have always, and probably always will, scare me the most. I’m so glad that you’re OK.

11. laosita permalink
    July 22, 2014 2:01 PM

CHECK!
    These kinds of lows scare the shit outta me. Writing about them is important. It’s one way to show people what you went through, who might not otherwise have any idea. I also think of writing about it as a way to be thankful that you came out of it okay.

12. July 22, 2014 2:24 PM

Monster indeed. Have you ever woken from what you expected was a low and convinced yourself you weren’t low and gone back to sleep only to wake up x minutes later actually (still) low? 🙂 That’s my usual game. Missing you Briley! ❤

• July 22, 2014 10:11 PM

It’s that whole “I don’t actually feel low, I must not be.” But I’ve never been able to fall asleep if I’m low, so “to prove I am not” I’ll test. And I’ll totally be low.

(I um, feel, like, um, this um comment belongs in like Clueless, like.)

13. July 22, 2014 5:38 PM

Aww, so scary…I hate middle of the night lows!! Glad you are ok and it sounds like you handled it great by not over-treating…I definitely wouldn’t have had as much self control :-p

14. July 22, 2014 5:53 PM

Umm….wow. That is all too scary. And familiar.

15. July 22, 2014 6:11 PM

So glad you’re better, so sorry for the paralyzing low. Just makes me want the bionic pancreas all the more, for anyone who can benefit. Thanks for sharing, and #dblogcheck!

• July 22, 2014 10:12 PM

Yes, it was so scary, but knowing there are people out there making things so this won’t happen anymore is SO COMFORTING.

16. July 22, 2014 7:08 PM

Wow! I can’t begin to imagine how that feels but Ive seen that look of fear in my sons eyes. The other night he came in and said he felt dizzy he was 38 with 1.5u IOB from dinner. That look in his eyes scares me more then the low itself. Hope you are feeling better now

#dblogcheck

• July 22, 2014 10:14 PM

My mom always used to check my eyes if she thought I was low!

• Cynthia Boisvert permalink
        July 23, 2014 10:51 AM

Still …….

17. July 22, 2014 7:13 PM

I wanted to say hi. I’m sorry for your scary low. I can’t begin to imagine. It was great to shake your hand in FL. I hope we can meet again. #dblogcheck

18. July 22, 2014 7:54 PM

Scary but brave of you to share — so glad you are ok!

19. July 22, 2014 9:00 PM

Thank you for always being brave and sharing your stories Briley! 🙂 #dblogcheck

20. July 22, 2014 9:26 PM

Check!

21. July 22, 2014 9:58 PM

I wish you had called me. 😦

• July 22, 2014 10:16 PM

I thought about it, but I had no idea what time it was. I think I might’ve if it had lasted longer than 15-20 minutes.

22. July 22, 2014 10:03 PM

So scary, Briley and I’m so glad you’re ok!
    Check

23. July 22, 2014 10:31 PM

Thank you for sharing your story, the good the bad, etc. You’re a great writer!

24. melissabalandlee permalink
    July 22, 2014 10:38 PM

I’m glad it didn’t get you. The ceiling fan or the big one. ::shivers::

25. July 22, 2014 10:56 PM

I’ve had awful lows like that too, where you lay in bed paranoid and freaking out about random things that aren’t even there. Glad you’re ok!

26. July 22, 2014 11:11 PM

Oh wow! I can’t imagine! (((Hugs))) #dblogcheck

27. July 22, 2014 11:54 PM

Yikes, Briley! So sorry to hear about your Low, and that ceiling fan — um yeah, I know what my nightmares will be tonight. Thought, I guess mayb it’s a good thing my bedroom ceiling fan is broken…. Weird how our minds play tricks on us when Low, from the Dexcom music to the ceiling fan to just not taking action to treat when we KNOW we’re Low and need to. Hope it wasn’t a dramatic or yucky glucoaster or rise back up into range, too. (of course: I do have to add: really, even when diabetes isn’t involved, I’m not sure I know how to function without coffee.) Thanks for sharing this, Briley.

28. July 23, 2014 12:05 AM

Wow. I’ve never had anything like that happen to me. I’m glad you were able to get yourself treated!

29. July 23, 2014 1:25 AM

Oh geez. I’m glad you came out of that okay. #Check

30. Megan permalink
    July 28, 2014 10:10 AM

Briley! Thanks for sharing — it IS awful!!! SOOO glad you are OK…

31. ryanfightmaster permalink
    July 31, 2014 6:55 PM

Whoa! That’s wild. There’s nothing quite like being low and not getting your mind around to figuring it out.

32. March 10, 2015 6:03 AM

I hate it when inanimate objects can scare the bejeezus out of you! Glad you are ok, from both monsters in the night and thanks for sharing.

33. Abby permalink
    March 10, 2015 11:44 AM

I have so been there!! #DBlogCheck

34. March 10, 2015 8:21 PM

Seems like there’s always someone experiencing a low like this. Glad you came out on the other end okay.