Kicking Off 25

July 7, 2014

I’m back from Friends for Life 2014, and there is so much that I want/need to write about. The “keep things organized” part of me wants to write them chronologically, but the heart & soul of me needs to write them as to what is in the forefront of my mind.

On July 3, we were celebrating my friend Melissa having diabetes for 24 years. Early in the day, we joked that we would pass off the anniversary. I didn’t actually think it would happen, because it would just be too perfect. I was social-butterflying my way through all the different groups of people in the bar (you can find this just as weird as I do, it’s okay). I found my way back to Melissa just before midnight and handed someone my phone and said “will you take pictures?” They said, “Do you want a video?” Replying no is the biggest regret I have of the whole trip. (If by chance someone has this video, PLEASE share it with me!)

Passing the anniversary baton from one PWD to another

Passing the anniversary baton from one PWD to another

I knew that it would be awesome. There were probably 10ish people around us (and the pictures Paige is taking show that). We held up the Dexcoms and all of a sudden everyone broke into song. Happy Birthday, but Happy Diaversary instead. Every single group from FFL that was in the bar started singing. It was incredible and completely embarrassing. I am pretty sure I ended up as red as my shorts. However, I also find the power of this community really hard to explain. I wish that this had been taped because it shows perfectly how awesome and big this place really is. It doesn’t matter how long I’ve had it, or how long they’ve had it, or how long the person they love has had it. They’re all in it and they all get it.

Totally Completely 100% Embarrassed.  And Grateful.

Totally Completely 100% Embarrassed.
And Grateful.

1. July 7, 2014 10:31 AM

Congrats, again, on 25 yrs!! I’m in awe of all u veterans w D!! I’m finding it hard to just get thru the week I can’t imagine 25 yrs, although tomorrow will be 17 months and I can’t believe Ive made it this far. FFL showed me I can do anything I put my mind to, esp living healthy & happy w T1D!!!!

Thanks to u, Briley, and everyone else at FFL that was so welcoming, supportive and just plain kind to me all week. I really appreciate your kindness to a virtual stranger!!!

Here’s to 25 more so u can get ur 50 yr medal!!!!

• Cynthia permalink
      July 8, 2014 9:16 PM

17 months Sandy, and you’ve already connected with other T1’s. Good for you! You have accepted diabetes as a part of the total you. Your new contacts and friends can help you so much, as you them. Briley’s mom

2. July 7, 2014 10:32 AM

PS: Briley, it’s Sandy Brooks. My user name is N1IWR, my Ham radio call sign. I’ll have to change that!!

3. July 7, 2014 10:59 AM

This is awesome. Can’t wait to hear about the rest of your week. Happy Diaversary!

4. Katy permalink
    July 8, 2014 12:18 AM

happy day!

5. July 8, 2014 11:49 AM

One of my favorite FFL moments this year. 🙂

6. Megan permalink
    July 9, 2014 11:16 AM

I am so sad that I was such a loser and was asleep in the lobby and missed this!!! 😦

7. mrmikelawson permalink
    July 13, 2014 8:37 PM

And many more!!!

8. July 13, 2014 8:47 PM

Such an awesome moment & Congrats!!

9. July 15, 2014 2:59 PM

Oh how I wish I hadn’t gone to be just a little bit too early. 😦 But I’m so glad you got to experience such an awesome diaversary event!!

Trackbacks