Advocacy Starts at Home

January 16, 2014

I’ve been thinking about advocacy and the difference I can make a lot lately. I have these grand goals, but no flipping clue how to get from me jotting them down to status: achieved! That’s when I have a moment of Charity starts at home.

The pink & the wire made it obvious today

The pink & the wire made it obvious today

The plumber just left, and I was thinking what I wanted to eat for lunch and how everything I want needs to be cooked with water. I knew I needed to shower, & use the bathroom before he came, but cooking slipped my mind under the water needed thoughts. He came downstairs to tell me he was done and noticed my insulin pump. (This is where I will thank the jeans with too small pockets.) He asked if I was type 1 or type 2 because he is type 2. He was really intrigued that I was type 1 because he had never met a T1 diabetic before. He paused and said, “can I ask you a question?” He asked what the difference is. “I should know because we have the same disease, but no one ever thinks this information is important.” I agree Mr. Plumber, it IS important. I went on to explain that while type 2 doesn’t use insulin correctly, type 1’s do not produce insulin at all. We talked a little bit more about insulin & other meds & then he went on his merry way. It feels really good to have been able to help one person understand the difference.

1. Katy permalink
    January 16, 2014 1:38 PM

Good job with the plumber. I hope you found lunch!

2. January 16, 2014 1:53 PM

Nice story. As advocates, this quote from the Tao Te Ching would be a great motto: “Achieve greatness in little things.” We need to start emphasizing the fact that advocacy isn’t a task of a privileged few but, rather, a project which we can ALL contribute to. A part of this is to emphasize simple acts of advocacy that can be done in one’s daily life, regardless of life circumstances.

I’m glad to see that those who are self-conscious advocates are beginning to see this.

3. January 16, 2014 2:29 PM

Advocacy isn’t always big and loud… the small and softer moments are important, too. πŸ™‚

4. January 16, 2014 3:01 PM

Wonderful!! πŸ™‚

5. January 16, 2014 3:07 PM

Every moment can be an advocacy moment. I love your moment.

6. January 16, 2014 4:22 PM

Meeting another person with diabetes: Sad. Connecting with another person with diabetes: Amazing and Wonderful. Sounds like your advocacy was a huge success.

7. January 16, 2014 4:41 PM

It is truly astounding in our information-rich world that so many people (even people with one of the types of diabetes) don’t know or understand the difference. Since starting down the road of looking into weight-loss-surgery as a Type 1, I can’t tell you how many people have said, “oh, I heard that surgery will cure you of your diabetes!!” It’s an ongoing effort of education. But we’ll get there….one person at a time if we have to! πŸ™‚