I Demand Knowledge

May 14, 2013

Recently various petitions have been circulating the Diabetes Online Community, so today let’s pretend to write our own. Tell us who you would write the petition to – a person, an organization, even an object (animate or inanimate) – get creative!! What are you trying to change and what have you experienced that makes you want this change?

DBlog Week 2013

I, a person with diabetes, petition to the founding fathers for the right to free speech.

In most aspects of my life, I whole-heartedly believe in this right.  However, as a person with diabetes, I wish that people needed to think and/or censor themselves before they spoke about what diabetes is, how it is diagnosed, how a person gets it, the different types, and how to take care of it.  We are all different, and therefore our care is different, but it seems like the people with the loudest voices and the greatest reach don’t understand this.  If there was no such thing as free speech, then maybe I wouldn’t have to deal with the misconceptions so frequently.

I demand you make people talk to each other, research diabetes, and become knowledgeable before speaking their mind when talking about my disease!

Briley

I cannot believe that my suggestion for a topic actually got chosen, and I hope that you have enjoyed it!  If you want to see what everyone else wants change for, go here

1. May 14, 2013 9:45 AM

Definitely enjoyed writing about this topic. Great idea! Thanks

2. May 14, 2013 11:33 AM

Hmmm… interesting idea, Briley. Maybe it would help people become more informed before speaking. And we wouldn’t have to deal with the annoying stuff so many people say. Anyhow, great topic – thanks for suggesting it! Had a blast writing on this prompt myself!

3. May 14, 2013 12:22 PM

This was a great topic suggestion, Briley! I love your post and agree that it would nice if people became knowledgeable before speaking about diabetes.

4. May 14, 2013 12:30 PM

I’ll sign!

5. May 14, 2013 10:03 PM

I love this!

6. May 16, 2013 8:30 AM

Yes yes yes!!! Can we also sensor them for blurting out their “father’s uncle’s cousin with diabetes” horror stories??