Would I?

April 16, 2013

There are a few parent blogs I read, but not a lot.  I follow a lot of the parents on twitter though, and I cringe when they talk about testing blood sugars in the middle of the night every night.  I was diagnosed when I was three, but I could probably count on two hands the number of times I was woken in the middle of the night to be tested (not counting camp). I understand that the types of insulin were different then, but I think about my oh-my-god-so-distant-future and what happens if I have a child with diabetes.  I know that I would do whatever it takes, but I honestly & literally cannot see myself waking up to test their blood sugars.  I’m sure it needs to be done, but I don’t even do this for me.  It is just hard for me to wrap my head around something that I didn’t need for the same disease just because the medicine is different.

1. April 16, 2013 8:49 AM

I think there are some differing instructions on middle of the night testing. I was diagnosed as an adult and no one instructed me to test my blood sugar in the middle of the night except for basal rate testing, but a friend of mine was diagnosed a year later and she was told to test at 3am.

2. Lorraine permalink
    April 16, 2013 10:46 AM

I check Caleb overnight. This is what I know, what I’ve been taught and therefore what I do. I continue to do it because I never seem to be able to go for more than a couple or few days at most without a surprising BG overnight. I always seem to be working toward that goal though – getting all the settings to a point where I can sleep through the night. For six years I’ve been working toward that goal. What would help is to know what those who do not test overnight do. I don’t know that I’ve ever read anyone share this. Is it a matter of waking up and dealing with whatever the number is? Is there careful planning pre-bed to ensure safety overnight? Maybe there isn’t really anything to do – just go to sleep. If I had been trained differently, I’m sure I would behave differently.

3. April 16, 2013 11:21 AM

I understand what you’re saying… I don’t think my parents ever woke up to check my sugar in the middle of the night. But I know what it’s like to have children, kids that depend on you, and with the knowledge I have today, I honestly don’t know what I’d do.

4. mom permalink
    April 16, 2013 2:41 PM

Oh, you will do whatever it takes to keep a child healthy. Who would have thought that we would have learned to mix insulins and give you needles 3+ times a day. Certainly no one who knew us pre-diabetes. It was our pleasure. And if we were told to wake you for night time testing, I’m sure your dad would have done a great job!
    Love you lots, mom.

5. April 18, 2013 5:56 PM

I test IF I wake up unexpectedly in the middle of the night, but otherwise? No special planning. Just 20 years of putting my best math forward about what I’ve eaten, where my numbers are, and where I think I’ll be when I wake up. Does that mean I don’t see a 300 here or there? Or a 43 at 1am? Heck no. I see that.

Maybe it’s the difference of being the parent – you can’t know what it’s like to wake up because you’re low and just deal with it. And with the possibility of tragedy if you don’t do the checking? I can see how I would just do the overnight checks for the peace of mind.

6. April 24, 2013 8:56 AM

I test in the middle of the night if I am getting up to use the bathroom or, obviously, if I wake up and feel low. I can’t imagine having to get up every night to test myself or my child. I would probably want to get my child on a CGM and keep it near my bed so that if there’s ever a wonky sugar, I will be woken up. But, if I had to do it, I’d do it.

7. April 24, 2013 3:14 PM

It’s hard to put yourself in that position I think. I’ve been responsible for hundreds of kids with diabetes, and only a few I worry about – but I HAVE DIABETES. So I have an advantage of when to worry. Most parents don’t have that “advantage” of having diabetes themselves. Plus I’m sure parents worry more about their own kids. At least, I hope they do.

That being said, I hear you. Loud and clear. And kind of agree.