Going After My Dreams

July 10, 2012

In my last photo post, one of my photos was “Going after my dreams.”  I had sent in my Dexcom paperwork a while back, and they said “call us in a couple weeks.”  Well that couple weeks was exactly the fourth, so I called that Monday and the paperwork was waiting for insurance approval. I was told this could days or weeks.  So I said that I’d call once a week because otherwise I’d drive myself and them MENTAL.  I called yesterday to ask the status of my order and imagine my surprise when the return voicemail said “your Dexcom approval came through this morning.”  I SHRIEKED! I called them back to order it and it will soon be at my apartment and ready for me to use!

Okay friends, what are tips, tricks, suggestions for me?!  I know that I’ve read them all here and there, but I always just half payed attention because “insurance will never approve that” but now I’m here and I need your help.  So please, send me anything & everything you can, and tell your friends too!!

1. July 10, 2012 10:37 AM

You are just full of good news today! I know that the backs of your arms have too much insulin-related scarring to use for pump sites, but I wonder if you could use them as dex sites? I think it’s worth a try if you’re up for it, because I really just can’t stand having two devices on my stomach, and my legs haven’t worked well for me for either.

2. July 10, 2012 1:38 PM

I use mine on my lower back – well more like mid-back – above the really squishy part. Also, put the sensor in and the transmitter on then wait a solid 30-45 minutes before you start it. Seems to work way better for me. Also, if you’re finding it falling off get some op-site flexi-fit tape. That shit’s magical. ALSO get ready for serious tan lines. And to take tons of pictures. DOn’t get too frustrated with the ??? sometimes it just goes away, and sometimes it can be fixed with a restart. Don’t start one before bed, that never works for me and you’ll be up in 2 hours to calibrate. Only calibrate when it asks – unless it’s disgustingly wrong. And ALWAYS tweet your problem before you call the company. Way better answers from real people 🙂

Also, YAYYYYAYAYYAYAYYYYAAAYYYY!!

• July 10, 2012 2:02 PM

Ok, I need pictures of this back wearing business, because I can’t imagine a way sticking it there and not having it thunk against my desk chair constantly.

• July 12, 2012 10:00 AM

Haha well I sit on a yoga ball instead of a chair all day 🙂 I’ll post a twitter picture later and tag you 🙂

• July 12, 2012 9:16 PM

Abby, how do you get it on your back or do you have someone who helps you?!

3. Sara permalink
    July 18, 2012 1:37 PM

Buy some Opsite Flexifix tape as soon as possible. I routinely get more than 14 days out of each sensor because of it.

The Dexcom needs to be calibrated every 12 hours at a minimum. Calibrate before you go to bed if you can’t remember the last time you gave it a number. Calibration reminders (or battery) reminders take priority over high and low alerts and so the Dex won’t wake you up if there is something else on the screen.